Monday 6 September 2010

I am Gamer hear me ROAR!

As gamers it seems we are always labeled as Nerds but are we? I have always been a firm believer that I know what I am and where I came from, nerd has never featured in that picture. Maybe I am though. I mean, I read a lot of sci-fi, I read comic books (well 2000 AD) but that's where I draw the line. Perhaps there is a scale of nerdetry, maybe I am a small nerd in a big pond, There are always the big questions like,"Who shot first Han or Greedo?" (Now as I grew up in the 80s to me it will always be Han who shot first, but to be honest I couldn't really care I just want to see dogfights in space.) These will always cause massive debate and perhaps this is where the true 'nerd' will come to the fore. Recently I had a crisis of 'faith' OK that's probably not the right word but it will do for now. Anyway, during the last game of a tournament I was losing badly when suddenly my tray full of models fell onto the floor and scattered everywhere, that's when it happened, that was the moment when it occurred to me that I might possibly be a nerd. As I surveyed the damage close to tears I suddenly realised that they were TOYsoldiers. It was a moment of illumination, that I was a 27 year old man playing with toys, and as I looked around the room I saw other grown men and women playing with toys.
Descartes said "Cogito ergo sum" or "I think therefore I am". This may or may not be true. As I said at the beginning I have always believed I Know what I am, therefore it is more apt to say "I game therefore I am Nerd"

1 comment: